Veeam Backup & Replication integrates with StoreOnce Catalyst to enable source-side deduplication, virtual synthetic full backups and faster restores. This leads to more efficient backup data transfer over the network, reduced storage space and faster performance in comparison to backup targets with traditional NAS protocol (CIFS and NFS) connectivity.
Veeam Backup & Replication leverages the HPE StoreOnce Catalyst technology and two HPE StoreOnce components:
- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst agent. The HPE StoreOnce Catalyst agent is a component of the HPE StoreOnce Catalyst software. The HPE StoreOnce Catalyst agent is embedded into the Veeam Data Mover setup. When you add a Microsoft Windows server to the backup infrastructure, the HPE StoreOnce Catalyst agent is automatically installed on the added server together with Veeam Data Mover.
- HPE StoreOnce appliance. The HPE StoreOnce appliance is an HPE StoreOnce storage system on which Catalyst stores are created.
Depending on the storage configuration and type of the backup target, HPE StoreOnce can work in the following modes:
HPE StoreOnce Supported Features
The HPE StoreOnce Catalyst technology offers a set of features for advanced data processing. Veeam Backup & Replication supports the following features:
- Synthetic Full Backups
- When Veeam Backup & Replication creates or transforms a synthetic full backup, HPE StoreOnce does not physically copy data between the existing backup chain and the target full backup file. Instead, it performs a metadata-only operation — updates pointers to existing data blocks on the storage device. As a result, the operation completes much faster. This mechanism helps improve performance of primary backup jobs and backup copy jobs that are scheduled to create periodic archive full backups (GFS).
- Accelerated vPower-Enabled Operations
- If HPE StoreOnce Catalyst is integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication, it allows to benefit from improved performance of vPower-enabled operations — Instant Recovery, SureBackup and On-Demand Sandbox — from backups residing on HPE StoreOnce.
- Accelerated Data Recovery
- Integration with HPE StoreOnce improves data recovery performance for different restore scenarios: Instant Recovery, file-level recovery and application items recovery with Veeam Explorers.
- WAN-based Catalyst Store Support
- Veeam Backup & Replication provides advanced support for WAN-based HPE Catalyst stores. If a WAN connection to HPE StoreOnce is weak, you can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to compress VM data and calculate checksums for data blocks going from the source side to HPE StoreOnce.
- HPE StoreOnce Replication
- HPE StoreOnce replication improves copying data between two HPE StoreOnce backup repositories.
- Supported Protocols
- TCP/IP protocol: Veeam Backup & Replication communicates with the HPE StoreOnce appliance by sending commands over the LAN.
- Fibre Channel protocol: Veeam Backup & Replication communicates with the HPE StoreOnce appliance by sending SCSI commands over Fibre Channel.
Presales Consultant with more than 10 years of experience, supports our partners by understanding customer needs, presenting and demonstrating our vendors’ products and helping in deal closing.